Sunday 25 November 2012

Something they want, something they need, something to wear and something to read.....


 
 

 Something they want, something they need,

something to wear and something to read.....

 
I came across the above phrase on a favourite blog ( Che & Fidel ) a few weeks or so ago.  I love this concept for gift giving for my children. I want to keep things really Simple this year.  When you throw Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles etc into the present giving mix, children can end up with an excessive amount of gifts.
 
I have almost finished my Christmas shopping for the kiddies and only need to add a one or two things. As well as a couple of birthday presents for family in December.  The plan is to have everything bought and wrapped by the first week in December.  I don't want to be up till midnight like I am most Christmas Eve's wrapping endless amounts of gifts, and pulling things out of the cupboard that I had forgotten I had bought.
 
So I've used the phrase above as my gift buying guide.  I will still do a Christmas stocking for each of the children but will fill them with a few treats and sweets instead (can't wait for the sugar rush Christmas morning).
 
In our family we don't buy for the adults - just the children so they get very spoilt. We will be having our family Christmas away so the big emphasis this year is on the travel, day trips like the zoo and museum, shopping treats and summer fun.  Here in New Zealand our Christmas season is in summer so we spend alot of time outdoors, swimming, fishing and of course BBQ's.
  
I LOVE Christmas and always make a huge deal about it with decorations, Christmas carols and eating yummy food - so there will be no changes there.  I'm excited.  It will also be the first time in 4 years that I won't be pregnant or breastfeeding so I can enjoy a few drinks. 
 
I'm really looking forward to Christmas this year!
 
What are your plans for Christmas this year?  How are you going with your Christmas shopping?
 
 
  

 

 



8 comments:

  1. Hooray Elaina! Bottoms up! Enjoy having a few well deserved drinks this year! We have A LOT of children within our familoy so we all get together and do a Chris Chringle. Insetad of getting a mountain of presents - some of which you toss out in a few weeks - we all have two children and one adult to buy for. Why should us big people miss out on the pressie fun?!! The limit is $50 per present or you could put it towards a payment for something bigger for the person you have. It works a treat in our family and everyone gets something that they need, want, wear or read! I love giving books! I've just made a huge order through Fishpond!

    Sophie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr H and I spoil each other! I love Fishpond too! xo

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you've got Christmas well under control. That phrase is so useful for containing the excesses of present giving - it should be displayed everywhere! Have a good one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We too are following this wise phrase! I adore Christmas but the overload of toys can be overy overwhelming not only for the poppets but also for the Mumma tha has to find homes for all of them. Hope your week is grand :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not so good with the shopping this year! I really do need to get my act together! That saying is very good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that saying and I am totally gonna follow those rules this year! I do not want to end up with spoilt kids :)
    Just found your blog and its lovely :)
    Ellen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Ellen. When I came across this phrase it really struck a chord with me. Elaina xo

      Delete
  6. I hadn't heard that phrase before. That is excellent advice. Last year I was unusually organized because we were going away for Christmas. This year I have been collecting things and stashing them away but it is patchy and very disorganized. I really don't want to be shopping in the last week before Christmas...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...