Wednesday 31 July 2013

Filling the cupboards



I've stopped buying a few things in my weekly shop in a bid to make them myself.  Muesli bars, biscuits and crackers are off the shopping list.  And I've been making a chocolate and coconut brownie which is going down a treat in the lunchboxes.

By baking a few things at a time or baking every second day I can keep the baking tins full and my shopping bill, hopefully a little lower.

This is working out well towards the end of the weekend when everyone is home and hungry.  So come Monday morning I won't be digging around for something to put in the lunch boxes.




Chocolate and coconut brownie........with all the good things like butter and sugar!  Good old fashioned baking at its best.  Because sometimes you just have to.

This is an Edmonds recipe.  You can find it here.




Cream crackers.  My kids love crackers.  The next time I make these I will make half with cheese in them.  This recipe is from my Grans Kitchen Cook book.

455g flour
Half teaspoon salt
85g butter
Milk to mix

Put flour  and salt into a bowl and rub through the butter.
Slowly add milk to foam a stiff dough. Roll out thinly.
Cut into squares,  prick with a fork and place on greased oven tray.
Bake at 200 degrees celsius for approximately 10 minutes (quick hot oven).

This mix will make up two baking trays full of crackers.  I baked one tray at a time.



I had a go at making my own muesli bars.  These are delicious, although next time I will use less oats and a lot more honey so they are a little more moist and not so crumbly.

I used oats, almond meal, raisins, shredded coconut, walnuts, pumpkin and sunflowers seeds.  I mixed through honey and coconut oil and baked in the oven at 180 degrees celsius until golden.



These Petite Kitchen vanilla nut butter biscuits are still proving popular too. 
 
What do you enjoy baking?   What are your family favourites?

Happy baking!

9 comments:

  1. Yum! I have been meaning to make muesli bars for ages, but have never quite found the right recipe. I baked some lovely macadamia and white chocolate biscuits last week, definitely a winner. Must blog the recipe sometime. Hope you are having a lovely week.
    Sophie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post has soooo inspired me! From the yummy recipes to the way you store them...loving the glass jar! Thank you for the cracker recipe too! My kids love crackers and this looks just perfect for us!!! Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Are you busy tomorrow? Come to my place and fill up my tins please. I remember those plates from when I was little. They didn't have cream crackers on them though, just meat and three veges. We do plenty of baking around here; at the moment, good old chocolate chippie biscuits are high on the favourites list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Homemade is always best, and it's a nice feeling to know that those lunchboxes and kids tummies are filled with freshly baked, made with love goodies rather than store bought. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, it all looks so good. And I love your tins. I had never thought to make my own crackers before - I might have to try out your recipe.

    I like to bake something at least once a week. Dead bananas (or other fruit on its way out) go into muffins or cake. Muesli biscuits are easy and popular, Anzac biscuits, ginger nuts, choc chip cookies... This week I have made Jamie Oliver's chocolate brownies with dried sour cherries (yum) and chocolate chip cookies. I like to substitute in some whole meal flour so I can pretend that the cookies are not all bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious. Those brownies have got me ferreting around in the kitchen for something sweet. Luckily for me, my daughter whipped up a chocolate weet-bix slice this afternoon...homemade is definitely best... Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely thing to do. All your baking looks delicious, and there's nothing as cosy and satisfying as lots of tins filled with freshly baked goodies. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I'll be over in a minute ;) Those crackers look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yum! It's so satisfying baking and seeing all of those homemade treats in the pantry. Love the sound of those crackers too. Wishing you a lovely week. xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...