Friday 22 March 2013

Home

 













Yesterday we had a much needed home day.  The boys both have funny tums.  And it was cold, grey and cloudy.  Thankfully we had some much needed rain overnight.

I had a dozen hydrangea plants to nestle into the garden, some plants to trim and weeding to deal with.  All with the help of my little gardeners.  Although they were not feeling well they were happy to be outside.

A lunch request for eggy sandwiches was made.  And with the cooling weather I had a "Boil up" on the stove.  Pork, sea salt, bay leaves, peppercorns, potatoes (always double how much you think you will need) and huge amounts of watercress.  This was welcomed for both lunch and dinner.

I like days like these, where there is no need to go anywhere, no need to rush.  Growing up, we always seemed to be at home more that we were out and about.  Today everyone's lives seem so busy that full days at home are few and far between.  I always like to have atleast one day during the week and usually a Sunday at home.  If it is time spent outside in the garden or inside playing, (afternoon sleeps) pottering, cooking or making.  It always recharges you I think.  Simple days are great days when spent at home.

12 comments:

  1. I have not had an eggy sarnie like that for some time, I must do one now as you've got my taste buds a going! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having a day at home today and loving every moment of it. Your soup looks so nourishing I'm sure the boys health would have improved by the moment with fresh air and good food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love days at home too, especially when they are peaceful and everything goes smoothly. Enjoy the weekend!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SUCH a homebody! Working from home suits me to a tee. One day, when kids are in our lives, I think I too, will adopt your philosophy! So glad to hear you guys got some rain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving those shots of your gardeners! And yes...it is so important for kids to have good old fashioned home time. Where I live it seems like so many moms are in a race to get their children involved in everything starting at a very young age. It wasn't always this way. When I grew up here it was a small farm town but urban sprawl happened and now everyone is in a rush. After studying education some of the most valuable research that I still remember is to let kids be kids by having down time and plenty of self exploration time. You are a great mama!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being that I work 5 days a week (I'm a school teacher), I love quiet simple days at home on the weekend. Your soup looks delicious and nourishing. We have the ham bone from Christmas still in our freezer - maybe I should do a "boil up" tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My girls love to potter in the garden with me, not sure how long Eldest Bea will want to now though! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your egg salad looks so creamy and delicious. I'd eat it by itself or on gluten free toast. Yummm! Thanks for the handy tip for my breakfast tomorrow!
    Bella @ Sea and Salt
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love a "home day". I live for them. Your "boil up" (love that!) and egg mayo sandwiches look so good, and your home looks like a really nice place to be. :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love home days too, and now the kids are on the bus to and from school one day a week I have a home day all to myself, bliss! I love hydrangeas too, I have a heap of different ones in my garden that the lady up the road grew for me from cuttings. Now she's taught me how, I can take cuttings and grow even more :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sorry your boys were a bit sick but that sounds like a wonderful day!
    I am with you...I love at least one day at home during the week. It is nice to take it slow, put a bit of energy into the house, garden and kitchen and then enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! My mum makes a similar looking pork and watercress soup. I haven't had it for ages. Must mention it to my mum...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...