Monday 4 March 2013

Around here..........


This was our "Autumn" weather today.  The forecast was for 29 degrees!  It did'nt really feel that hot due to the wind.  Since the weekend, my washing machine has been getting a workout.  I've just been doing alot of pottering about, baking, catching up on housework and washing over the last few days.  Simple, quiet days........




I spent a good deal of Saturday afternoon sorting out the playroom.  It looked like a tornado had gone through it before I started.  I boxed a lot of toys up in clear plastic tubs rather than having them in open baskets.  Which at the moment does not work for us as George loves to empty things all over the floor, stomp on them and then move on to the next thing.


Eek, look at this hands!  He helps himself to peaches off the trees throughout the day.  He has had a cold and runny nose all weekend so the more fruit the better - despite the amounts of dirt that are no doubt eaten with them.




These raised and empty vege boxes are supplying us with endless hours of entertainment.  The boys love playing in these.  At the last count George sat in here for just over an hour digging in the dirt and playing.  Very soapy bubble baths are needed at the end of each day around here.


Squished eggs with mayo, salt, pepper and spring onions on toast.  Washed down with cups of sweet tea.  My favourite breakfast at the moment.


Topping up the baking tins for the week ahead.  These are coconut and pineapple cupcakes.  I used the Edmonds Cookbook cupcake recipe for these and added a cup of crushed pineapple and about half a cup of coconut.  Delicious!


Another Edmonds recipe - date and walnut loaf.  Great sliced and buttered - and with banana on top if you are feeling extra decadent.


We have a pile of squash in our kitchen.  It grows everywhere around here this time of year.  I swear you can't even give it away.  I made a squash and watercress soup over the weekend I quickly fried up onions and garlic then added the baked squash and chopped up watercress.  Added chicken stock and a splash of water, sea salt and ground black pepper.  I then used my hand kitchen whizz to mix it all up.  Mr H then came along and added butter, chilli flakes, tumeric and two tablespoons of ricotta cheese which of course sent it to another whole level.  Yum!


And even with the warm weather today I have been dying to get my slow cooker dusted off.  I made this lamb stew with lots of vegetables and herbs thrown in.  I served it with cous cous and sprinkled slices of spring onion all over.  I can't wait for more autumn and winter dishes like these.
Happy week everyone!

15 comments:

  1. omg you have some fantastic crockery!
    i cant wait to dust of the slow cooker either; we lit our first fire of autumn last night and it was bliss, especially as it was dark by 8pm-eek! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plenty of baking here and washing too. The sun was very welcome here today.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hours I've spent sorting toys! It's great they have there own room though! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You've been busy. My son would make himself sick eating peaches if he could pick them straight off the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of slow cooker meals at my place too! I love that dinner's cooking while I do a million other things... I'm focusing on a slow cooker recipe a week. I want to find and try them all!

    Sophie xo

    P.S. I did my fair share of toy sorting too last week. I hate when everything gets mixed up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. George is so cute! And your baking looks really yummy! :-)

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a super (and amazingly tidy) playroom you have! And what cute, cute littlies!!! :-)
    Caly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at you go girl! The playroom looks fantastic and those pictures of your boys in the raised boxes are priceless!!! I think dirt is so good for kids! I know some moms don't like dealing with the mess but I can so relate more to moms who let their kids dig! Bravo to you! Your kids will have the best memories from their childhood! All of your recipes look amazing!!! And I am loving your teacups in that photo as well! Thanks for sharing and have a super week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like such a great time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yum, I am now quite hungry after looking at all the delicious food here. Your playroom looks like a really happy, busy room.

    Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Autumn was coming here too but then changed its mind - 30 degrees here today!!! Your playroom is great and I can just imagine how satisfying that task was once finished - we have the open basket thing going on here too :-) I love the way boys play - dirt, a box = happy. Your George is very very cute. Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your play room! Looks amazing but yes I know what it's like to get it to that clean :) how good is eating fruit straight from the tree?! Love it! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pottering around, sorting and baking can be so lovely and leave you feeling so refreshed. I want that soup and I want that date and walnut loaf with the banana!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your George sounds a lot like my Gil - he used to play a game called Rubbish Dumps, when he'd go around the house collecting anything from any room, putting in a 'rubbish bin' (box) then he'd dump it out in a HUGE heap on the lounge floor. It would take me about 3 hours to put it all away and was infuriating!!! It's a never-ending tidy up mission in our house.. as I'm sure you know! Someone told me it's like brushing your teeth at the same time as eating an oreo cookie! lol
    Great looking food!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The vegie boxes look like good, messy fun.

    I am envious of your clothesline and your clothes flapping in th breeze. I have one of those fold down clothes lines on the side of the house - not nearly as satisfying

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...