Monday 9 June 2014

Winter slice and a vintage recipe swap






I recently joined in with Butter and Buntings vintage recipe swap.  I was partnered up with Mezz from Mezz Makes Stuff - she is an avid lover of retro too, so I think we were a good match.

The recipe I sent Mezz was for a Winter Slice from one of my favourite old school cookbooks called Gran's Kitchen.

I made it over the weekend for afternoon tea, but it is really good as a lunch box filler and can be enjoyed hot or cold.  You can change your fillings to suit and is great to have as a standby recipe for using up and leftovers.

Winter slice

You will need:

3 bacon rashers
1 large potato
1 large onion
1 cup cauliflower
3 eggs
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup oil
1 cup milk
1 cup tasty cheese, grated
Salt and pepper

Method:

Dice bacon and fry.  Peel, chop and steam vegetables.
In a separate bowl, beat eggs and lightly stir in flour, baking powder and oil until smooth.  Add milk, vegetables, bacon, cheese and seasoning, and mix to combine.
Pour into greased baking dish and place in oven for 30 minutes at 190C.


Another part of the vintage swap was to send a few kitchen goodies.  I wrote my recipe on the back of a piece of retro wallpaper and included a table cloth, serviettes, wooden spoon and enamel cup.




Mezz put together a beautiful assortment of retro tea towels and assorted cards. And the recipes for Simplicity Chocolate Cake and Easy Peasy Christmas Eggnog (can't wait to try this!!) were written on pages from Little Golden Books.




 
 
Also included was a copy of the Hundreds and Thousands magazine that Mezz is a part of.  It's a great little magazine celebrating all things handmade.
 


Thank you Mezz for my lovely parcel and Taz from Butter and Buntings for organising such a fun swap!

 
 
 
 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. What fabulous items to swap - recipes and goodies!! You both send and received such lovely things and we know that you love a vintage textile or two! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that wallpaper - swooning here. Loving the golden book recipe pages too. Gorgeous top notch items - I need to visit some aussie op shops! The tea towels are beaut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you do all these little swaps Elaina! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, you just gave me a major flashback! The Babysitter's Club books were my favorite! I still have tons of them in storage at my mom's house - maybe someday my little babe will want to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, that bake looks delicious! And I love the swap, it is an intriguing little bundle of joy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful, you are so busy with your swaps, and such lovely ideas. Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of a vintage recipe swap. That winter slice looks great to have on one of those cold, chilly days. Jo xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...