Thursday 5 June 2014

The garden share collective - June












It's been a good month in the garden, I've been picking silverbeet, spinach, kale and celery - all of which are plentiful.  I add them to my cooking where possible.

I've also joined a local fruit and vegetable swap group and this week have traded kale for kiwifruit and mandarins.

I am going to put in more spinach this week - Mr H likes his green smoothies in the morning so it's great to have a lot of "green" on hand in the garden for him.  I treat our guinea pigs to some of the silverbeet leaves, they love them and demolish them unbelievably quickly - little guts.

And we have had lots of rain over the last week which has been great for the garden and water tanks.

I'm hoping to get to the farmers market this weekend to buy some more vege plants to fill in the gaps where I have harvested - I will see what the plant man has available but he sells most for only 25cents a punnet.  I need to do a bit of reading on starting my own seedlings.......something to think about a little further down the track.

I feel really satisfied with how my garden in progressing, it finally feels like I have a working kitchen garden.  It is a really nice feeling to be able to step outside and pick a few things to add to whatever meal I'm making.  Very satisfying indeed.

Growing in the garden I have:

Capsicum
Celery
Carrots
Broccoli - will see how these go.  My summer crop was not good.
Savoy cabbage
Kale
Silverbeet
Spinach
Strawberries - STILL!

Herbs - I need to replant my herbs.  None left at the moment.

Expecting to harvest/sow:

Strawberries - if George hasn't got to them first.
Celery
Silverbeet
Spinach
Kale

To do list:

Monthly weeding and soil turning.
Another spray of my chilli and garlic spray.
Sheep poo in both gardens.
New plantings


Happy gardening!


TheGardenShareCollective300pix

Joining in with Lizzie from Strayed from the table.

"The Garden Share Collective is a group of bloggers who share their vegetable patches, container gardens and the herbs they grow on their window sills. Creating a monthly community to navigate through any garden troubles and to rival in the success of a good harvest we will nurture any beginner gardener to flourish. Each month we set ourselves a few tasks to complete by the next month, this gives us a little push to getting closer to picking and harvesting. The long-term goal of the Garden Share Collective is to get more and more people gardening and growing clean food organically and sustainably."



 

7 comments:

  1. OH sweetie, I have just caught up on your gorgeous space, i've just back-dated myself almost 3 weeks and you and your beautiful kids and getting very creative in the garden, cooking, crafting (love those necklaces, i'd like a brooch one, i'll have to look into making some myself)…..but as for hubby's "green" drink, not sure I could do it unless it was laced with ice-cream, and then that would defeat the purpose?!?!
    I hope you are well, can't wait to be back in blog land in a week. Liv x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks as though you have got lots of lovely things growing. The swap is a great idea, especially when you have lots of something that you cannot get through yourselves, or if there are things that you don't grow that you would like. I hope that you keep enjoying it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive and industrious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is outstanding friend! And I love that photo with the scarecrow! Just too sweet! Your garden growing is beyond impressive! And how wonderful like you said to have a kitchen garden at your fingertips!!! Happy growing and that fruit swap sounds like heaven! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - very impressed to see you still are able to grow capsicum at this time of year. What a great idea being part of a fruit and vege swap. I could do rainbow chard, rocket,celery and parsley. Unfortunately some type of green caterpillar is eating my spinach - I am managing to get some for cooking though.
    Have a fabulous weekend.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful! How lovely it is to grow one's own food, and to be able to swap it too. My kitchen garden is just a mess of weeds, neglected during my pregnancy and waiting until I can tend to it again. Seeing your post inspires me though, and I know it will flourish again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that all looks very tasty, and how awesome to have a swap to exchange things you have an over supply of.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...