Friday 20 June 2014

So.....why do I blog?




There is a bit of a Blog Hop happening at the moment in blog land where you are nominated and asked a few questions about "the why's" of why we write.  Fellow blogger Carla from My Yellow Heart has nominated me sooooo here I go.

I published my first post in September 2012.......nearly 2 years ago.  I had registered my blogger name in March of that year when we first moved to the country.  But it took a good few months before I struck up the courage (and it really does feel like that) to write something and push the publish button........gulp.

A few months before we moved from the suburbs my very good friend mentioned that she had a blog.  At the time I didn't know what that was, so I started reading her beautiful space, Lover of Vintage, and then slowly came across others that I loved like Ivy Nest and Bungalow Bliss - and became hooked on reading them.  We don't watch TV so it became my night time thing.  Settle down from the busy-ness of the day with a cup of tea and sink into blog land.

Blogging has become my little thing, I love it and for me it has been a really good way of recording the things I love like baking, gardening and collecting retro treasures and our family life.  One of the best things has been the photography.  Up until I started blogging I have never been a photo taker.  We lived in the UK for 5 years and I only have a handful of photos to show for it, shameful!  I take part in the weekly portrait project and although I have stopped including Bell, I have a wonderful collection of weekly photos recording my growing boys.

When I first started blogging, I read lots of other blogs, commented often and had regular giveaways.  There has been a shift in that this year for me.  I have only done one giveaway this year (for a clever friend) and due to the demands of a growing family I don't comment as often as I feel I should.  I read all of the comments on my blog but don't have the time (I set my self "internet usage limits") to reply to everyone unless there is a specific question. I don't know how people feel about this but it is something I know is often discussed elsewhere.

Before I ramble on too much, here are the blog hop questions?

What am I working on?

I'm not writing any great novel or anything amazing like that, my writing is here.  I know some people question whether they would have anything to write about but ideas and topics are everywhere.  Baked a cake....blog it.  Been for a beautiful walk and taken amazing photos.........blog it.  Found a fantastic op shopped treasure..........blog it.  See easy!

How Does My Writing Differ From Others In My Genre?

To be honest I don't think it does.  My writing isn't fancy or fanciful.  I write like I'm talking to a friend.  Simple.

Why Do I Write What I Do?

Recording life and memories.  Up until a couple of weeks ago I was a fulltime Stay at Home Mum - something I have always wanted to do, and something I felt was really important.  On days when I think "am I doing a good job" I just look here at my blog and think yes, I'm doing it my way and it's working for me and my family.  I only work 3 mornings a week while my children are at kindy/school - so I still get to do the drop off/pick up and do the things I love and keep everything running smoothly at home.  My days feel full now, and it feels really good.

I am aware of how I portray my life here.  Like everyone I have my good and bad days.  I don't like to write anything negative about my children as one day they may read it.  And any parent knows that like us, kids have their good and bad days and it's their story to tell not mine.  The same with Bell, I show her anything that she is included in and she can say yes or no to me including her.  She isn't on here as much anymore and that is her choice. I know there is a lot of discussion on children being on "mummy blogs" - I'm careful what I post.  Unfortunately due to the revolting side of the Internet there are sites where the so called "public" can go to view certain material - I don't think they will be getting their fixes on these types of blogs.

How Does My Writing Process Work?

I'm a night owl, so that's when I tend to do most of my writing.  When I think of a post I save the title in a draft format and come back to it later with words and photos.  And because I like things annoyingly organised I keep posts in the order I think I will publish them in.

So, there you go.  That's me in a nutshell.  I am so thankful for falling into blog land.  I have "met" some of the most amazing like minded souls through my blog.  Wonderful ladies who I wished lived just over the fence.  Blogging has encouraged me in all sorts of ways and prompted me further to bake, cook, garden, sew and try new things that I have found via other bogs.  There is just so much (I haven't ventured onto pinterest yet) inspiration out there!

If you have reached the end of this very long post, go and make yourself another hot cuppa as your one is probably cold by now and visit these three lovelies (and yes I do say "lovely" a lot) who I nominate.  No pressure to post anything ladies just happy to nominate you.

Nominees:

TGIF - so thankful it is the weekend.  It has been my second week as a "working women" and my brain hurts.  I'm looking forward to digging in my garden this weekend and mucking about in the kitchen.  I have Monday off, so will leave the cleaning of the house till then!
 
Do you blog and why?
 
Curious..........why do you visit here?
 
Elaina xo 
 
 
 
 

15 comments:

  1. I visit here for your lovely images and tales of country life in the green Elaina! Yours was one of the first blogs I came across and I have always enjoyed your space. I love your perspective on writing and not thinking too much into what you post, ie. if you take a nice walk. cook a cake then write about it. Otherwise you can take the enjoyment out of blogging. I actually had one incident where a particular post was getting lots of hits from google search from the wrong sorts of people. I had to change the post title to stop it. Was thought provoking xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carla. My blog is like my journal - I actually can't believe I've managed to keep up with it. Didn't know how much I was going to enjoy it. And I think I know which post you are talking about, that was so funny xo

      Delete
  2. You are amazing Elaina! Your blog has always inspired me and to be honest....it was one of those immediate connections for me when I started following your space. Your beliefs in how you live and how you raise your kids (in this society that moves so fast) was something that resonated with me and sadly is hard to find everywhere. It reminds me of the good things in life! And I am with you with pacing yourself with blogging. It is a balance when raising kids and I so get not being able to respond to everyone. THANK YOU for nominated me!!! I feel completely honored and will work on mine for next week!!! Keep up the good work friend! Nicole xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always loved you visiting here Nicole. Your comments are always so positive and encouraging. And you are right, society is moving so fast and I'm trying my hardest to slow it down a little so my children can enjoy a kind of old fashioned childhood. xoxo

      Delete
  3. It is so lovely to get to know a but more about you Elaina and how you work on your blog. I hope that you keep going for a long time yet to come as I really like your retro and op shop items especially. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy. I'm hoping to do a bit of opshopping this week - fingers crossed I find some amazing treasure. Wish me luck! xo

      Delete
  4. I started blogging as a way to connect with like minded people, and so that my sister in Australia could see what I make. I don't really share photos of my family, I feel that they deserve privacy. I love the friends I have made and I always reply to comments, unless they are no-reply bloggers. Since I started work again this year, my posts are more sporadic, but that's life I guess.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get the no-reply blogger thing or Google+.............I like sending my sister links of recipes that I think she would like. The people I've met since blogging have been a treat I wasn't expecting. Enjoy your weekend xo

      Delete
  5. I visit because I feel at home here Elaina. Your family is refreshingly normal and I like that. My children read my blog already (those who can read that is). For me personally it is important to record the good and the bad days, I want my children to understand why I am the way I am and why (grumpy or happy). I hope you enjoy work. You sure sound busy but your job sounds just right for you. I used to work school hours just like you and thought it was perfect. Have a great weekend digging up your garden and pottering in the kitchen. Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina, I love your blog. Maybe I should post more of the bad.....something to think about. I'm loving my job, have had my first two paychecks and that was a nice surprise. I can work school holidays if I want to or I'm allowed to bring the kids into work as my boss will do, she sets up a playstation in the training room. Will see how we go, glad I have the option. And it's only 3 mornings a week, so at the moment it's manageable. Have a lovely weekend in your part of the world xoxo

      Delete
  6. Just found six new lovely blogs! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome! Enjoy.........love it when I come across a real treasure of a blog xo

      Delete
  7. Lovely to read! I blog to record moments and memories now too. Happy space, happy stuff. I try to establish a rapport, but time is hard to come by and I don't like spending too much time on the computer. so I often get "behind". However, I've met lots of awesome people and enjoy reading real blogs like yours. Thanks for sharing Elaina x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leonie, I like to think of my blog as my happy place too. So very glad my friend introduced me to the world of blogging xo

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much for the nomination, so kind of you! :-) I've been massively stressed/busy/disorganised lately so didn't manage to tie your nomination with my post, so sorry about that. Can you tell I am having a blog catch up today?! xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...