Monday 30 June 2014

Sunday lunch











It was one of those weekends where I went to bed Sunday night feeling tired, that good kind of tired where you feel full of all the good things in life.

Sunday Mr H and I spent the morning preparing and cooking in the kitchen.  I had invited my brother and his family for a Sunday lunch and it was just the best day.

Mr H cooked a beautiful rolled roast beef with gravy.  I made up my first ever batch of mulled wine, and Yorkshire puddings.  The Yorkshire pudds went down a treat with the kids, they loved them.  We used good old fashioned dripping as well for the beef and Yorkshire puddings.

I cooked the vegetables to go with the roast and it was all devoured by a very appreciative audience.  After lunch we took a walk up the road to visit the baby calves and then walked over a nearby field to make our way back home through the vineyard.

We had all worked up an appetite for dessert by the time we returned from our walk.  Em had made Donna Hay's Chocolate Fudge Cake (topped with slithered, chocolate mandarin peel), so very decadent.  The kids scraped clean the bowl containing orange jelly (one layer whipped) with mandarins and marshmallows...............stuffed.

So that was our Sunday, and our long lazy lunch.  We will definitely be repeating this day again, very very soon.


18 comments:

  1. looking scrumptious! Adore the bowls. That weather has just left Auckland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly delicious!!!!! The Yorkshire puddings look amazing, really well puffed up, and those desserts - and your lovely bowls too!! So glad that you all had such a great time, Sunday lunch is a great tradition isn't it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the perfect way to spend a sunday to me. Love the daisy bowls - gorgeous! Lovely photo of the family walk along the country lane. T x

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of your food looks delicious! Your husband cooked that roast? I am so impressed. Love him dearly, but I don't think my husband would have any idea what to do with one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr H is a better cook than I am. He uses a food thermometer and everything!

      Delete
  5. The cake looks amazing and I love the bright color contrast in those first two pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an absolutely delicious looking lunch. You are so lucky to have family close by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My "baby" brother and I have kiddies around the same age. And my sister in law is amazing. We spend loads of time together xo

      Delete
  7. Could this meal look anymore delicious!!?!?!? Holy cow!!! It looks like an absolute dream Elaina! It sounds like a real blessing of a day! Wishing you many more of the same! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't decide what I would want to eat first...yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful! That looks like a very British sort of "Sunday Roast", I have to say. We don't eat roasts much in the summer but it's such a lovely thing to do in the winter - eat a big lunch and go for a walk. What a perfect day. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. although I am a vegetarian, I love the sight of a beautiful big roast! It speaks of hospitality, plenty for all, and plenty for seconds too. Love the pic of the orange jelly and vintage pudding bowls!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks absolutely divine and yum and bliss! Yay for these days xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! That looks and sounds SO good!

    Rachel xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my word. That cake looks amazing! All the food looks delicious, and I just love the shot of you all outside. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...