Wednesday 11 June 2014

Some news.....


 
 
On Monday I started my new part time job.  I know, I can't believe it either!  I love being a stay at home mum, but with all three off at school and kindy 5 days a week now I was looking for something to do outside of the home a few mornings a week.

I've been keeping an eye out online and in the local papers for something "family friendly".  And had come to the conclusion that jobs like that are few and far between, but I got lucky last week.

There was a job advertised in Tom's school newsletter letter by a local couple who own two businesses in town and needed someone to help run the office and tackle the growing piles of admin a few mornings a week - flexible days/hours to fit around family.  Perfect!

I applied and got the job.  A lot of it is training based which is what I was doing in London.  At the moment it is only 12 hours a week so I can work while George is at morning kindy.  If the boys aren't well I don't have to come in.  They have 3 boys themselves so are really happy for me to work around family commitments.

My first few days have been great - and I still get to pick the boys up and do the things I like doing, I've even managed to get some baking done this week, dig about in the garden and keep on top of my housework (for now?!).  I just need to make sure I'm organised, so I don't spend my days off, catching up.

It's very early days but I'm enjoying it.  Not to mention the extra income will be great.  I decided a couple of months ago that I wasn't going to compromise my time with the kids and doing the things that I love.  So that meant it had to be something where the hours suited, and it was not a juggle.

So that's me and my news for the week.  I must admit it does feel strange, I have been at home for the last 6 years, so it's a big change for me.

So wish me luck that I don't balls anything up!

Are you working?  Full/part-time?
 
Do you enjoy it or is it a struggle/juggle?
 
 

 

17 comments:

  1. I work full time and it is often a struggle, especially trying to balance spending time with my son and getting the chores done on the weekends. The bill have to be paid though so somehow we manage to muddle along. Hope your new job works out for you and you continue to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeehah. Congrats! I do school hours and unpaid hours outside school or unpaid hours at school.... overtime hours (unpaid) can be crazy. Sometimes I do get fed up and tell them to pay me or I take a day off - a great school! Saturdays are cleaning ; always do the laundry every day but it can take a week to fold it up.... I haven't folded up the laundry from last Saturday yet... the house can be a tip but work is full on and I need a lot of downtime (knitting) every day! A massive tidy up is done every hols.... keep having fun at work! Good hours - a day off a week sounds great to me (but the mess upon returning to work.. argh)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds absolutely perfect Elaina! Congratulations!!! I'm at home full-time now but with any luck our farm business will be up and running by Christmas and I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into something again. I've been home for 10 years with the Kids and have really loved it but I'm ready to slowly dip my toe back into some work - 12 hours would be absolutely ideal and I dare say I'd probably be a little more productive on the home front :-) Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a fabulous position for you, I hope it continues to go well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Hope the new job goes really well, and even if you have the occasional bad day, you know you are going home to your family who love you and think you are wonderful, and that will be so comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Elaina!! I hope that you love it and all that it brings. Way to go you!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you, Elaina. I wish you lots of luck in your new position. I don't work outside the home and I probably won't for many years because our children's school situation is unusual. But I do miss working sometimes and I can understand why you wanted to find something now that you have hours alone in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I work full time and I have to admit that it's pretty difficult to squeeze in all of the creative things that really make my life meaningful and rejuvenate me. One of the things that I like about keeping a blog is that I can pull it up during an especially hard day at work and remind myself that I have a fulfilling life. I do! Thanks for the post and the question.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats Elaina! Well done and yay for finding something that ticked all the boxes for you - was meant to be! Hope it continues to go well and you keep getting to do all the things you love! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish you so much luck sweet Elaina! Congrats to you! This sounds like the most perfect job for a busy mama! And how wonderful that they are so flexible with your hours! Do keep us posted on how it is all going friend! You take care and a wonderful end to your week! Nicole xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on your new job. Hopefully when the time comes I can find something that fits in with the kids! Sounds perfect

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations, it's a big step going back to work after being a full time mum. After 3 months part time work, I still find it hard some weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats and good luck. Your new job sounds perfect for you. Hope you really enjoy it, I did mine also. It's good to join the adult world again and just be a person again, not just a Mum xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on the new job it really is a juggle but like you say the income can be nice too
    My craft time has been compromised this year with study and working part time in the business I own and part time in my pre children career as well but everything works around the kids and like yourself I will not compromise my family time

    ReplyDelete
  15. I work PT in retail, and it is a struggle/juggle. You sound as if you got an amazing job though, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW, you're as mad as me! Crazy huh, but it feels good (I think) x

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds perfect. Jobs that fit around school hours are like gold dust here. I'm really happy for you. xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...