Saturday 25 October 2014

The garden share collective - Summer vegetables


 











Spent this afternoon in the garden, putting in my summer vegetables.  I had weeded and turned the soil over last week and with overnight rain it was an easy task putting everything in.

I went to the plant barn in town.  Such a great set up.  You grab yourself a tray which has sheets of newspaper on it.  And you take and wrap the plantings you want - all for 25cents each.  Tomatoes and capsicum plants are $2.50.  I will be heading back again next week to pick up some chilli plants.

Growing in the garden I have:

Capsicum - red/orange/yellow
Broccoli
Spinach
Zucchini
Cucumber
Lettuce
Spring onions

Still growing from previous plantings:

Carrots
Kale
Strawberries - think we will have a bumper crop this year.

Jobs to do:

Mulch down around the new plantings
Covering for the strawberries (before the birds spot them)


Happy gardening!


TheGardenShareCollective300pix

Joining in with Lizzie from Strayed from the table.

"The Garden Share Collective is a group of bloggers who share their vegetable patches, container gardens and the herbs they grow on their window sills. Creating a monthly community to navigate through any garden troubles and to rival in the success of a good harvest we will nurture any beginner gardener to flourish. Each month we set ourselves a few tasks to complete by the next month, this gives us a little push to getting closer to picking and harvesting. The long-term goal of the Garden Share Collective is to get more and more people gardening and growing clean food organically and sustainably."



 

9 comments:

  1. How exciting to be growing all that lovely veg & fruit X

    ReplyDelete
  2. So did we!
    But where we differ is you didn't have to keep your eye out for snakes! Oh to live in NZ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would need wellies and waterproofs to venture out in the garden just now, and quite possibly I would need to be tethered to the house somehow, too. I am so envious of all you guys in the Southern Hemisphere. Enjoy the gardening. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just the perfect day for it yesterday. I planted a cucumber, lettuce, another tomato self seeded - (hopefully the black cherry tomato) and some more beetroot. Beans, courgette, and capsicum still to go. Love the sound of shopping at your plant barn

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've sure had a productive day. There's nothing more rewarding than looking at a growing vegetable garden. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a brilliant idea, I really miss doing my garden.....I think I need a realistic plan for next year, this winter I will be popping on my thinking cap, there must be some way I can keep gardening!!! ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the idea of choosing the plants you want for 25 cents! We have a beautiful nursery near here, or the big hardware store, and neither has cheap plants like that. But you do get a discount when you buy a few things at the nursery... and I can never stop at one... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love the sound of that nursery! I wish we had one like that here :-) I grow most of our veggies from seeds, although sometimes we have a lettuce gap which is a good excuse to pop to the nursery and buy a seedling tray of lettuces - although it's never the only plant that comes home!

    I hope you had a good weekend!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  9. 25c each for seedlings - wish they lived near my place. Your garden is looking great and getting mulch down is essential for us ozzies.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...