Tuesday 9 April 2013

Feijoa Season!







"The Feijoa (Feijoa sellowiana, synonym Acca sellowiana), also known as Pineapple Guava or Guavasteen, is an evergreen shrub or small tree, 1-7 m in height. It comes from the highlands of southern Brazil, parts of Colombia, Uruguay, Paraguay and northern Argentina. They are also grown throughout Azerbaijan , Georgia and New Zealand."


Feijoa season has arrived!

I have'nt come across the Feijoa anywhere else. They have the most amazing flavour - to me a mixture of guava, pear and pineapples.

In our town if you don't have a tree full in your garden you will know someone who does.  That someone is my sister.  She is my "supplier".

I picked two huge buckets full of Feijoas from her today.  My kids can eat their body weight in the juicy fruit.   Tonight I made a Feijoa pudding.  Bell spooned out the filling into an oven proof dish and I made the Edmonds 3 minute sponge recipe (adding cinnamon and ginger and using 2 eggs instead of 3) to pour on top and bake.  Delicious!  Serve with ice cream, cream or custard.

Next up will be a Feijoa crumble.  I am planning on freezing alot of the pulp for my sister when she visits in a couple of months time from Brisbane.  They are not easy to get where she lives.  I'm currently teasing her with photos on her Facebook page.

Do you have Feijoa's in your part of the world?  How do you enjoy them?

Feijoa Sponge
1 cup plain flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
3 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
Put flour, sugar, eggs, butter and milk into electric mixer bowl.
Beat on high-speed for 3 minutes.
Stir in baking powder, cinnamon and ginger.
I baked mine at 150 celsius for about 30 minutes (until golden brown).


17 comments:

  1. yum! I am a tad jealous. Feijoa and apple crumble is my fav x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! How I miss feijoas! My mouth is watering right now :) Especially feijoa crumble.. enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaah!! You are killing me right now! I've occasionally been able to get feijoas here, and have been on the look out, but no luck yet. Problem is they are quite expensive when you can get them. Seems crazy to pay so much when I know just how many you can get from one tree!! I've planted two in our garden and cannot wait for them to start fruiting. Fingers crossed for next season. I like all if your neatly cut ones. Mine dont tend to get past the bite and squeeze!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never ever seen one of these in the flesh and only heard about them for the first time last year on another blog when they made jam. The sound delicious, they obviously don't like a subtropical climate though. Your have inspired me to try and hunt some down. mel x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of them but they sound delicious! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. My trees are looking pretty overloaded already, will have to give your recipe a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss feijoa season!! When I was boarding with a family when I first moved to Australia, they had a feijoa tree and never knew it was fruit! Unfortunately they weren't fond of the taste and ripped the tree out. I am still trying to convince my husband to let us try and grow a plant in our yard, it makes me homesick!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum....man now im craving them! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok...I am out of the loop on this one! I have never eaten one but they sound out of this world! Thank you for teaching me something new today! Gotta find one of these to try...hmmm??? I wonder where I can find them??? Your pudding sounds divine and your little helpers are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My MIL had tonnes of feijoa trees in her backyard, we would always raid them whenever we visited her. They are not something that sells in the shops here but I know a few Australian bloggers who grow them and I am mighty jealous ;)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have them growing on our island - I'll have to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never heard of them! I think they'd perish in the cold here, sadly, They look delicious though. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yum, I love feijoas!!! I planted 9 a few years ago and they are already fruiting well. I hope there will still be some left when we get home, love the sound of that sponge, I usually make crumble :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow I really want to try. Pineapple is my fave fruit so this awesome looking fruit may just be up my ally. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh thankyou for this post. I love feijoas, we grew up in NZ with a tree full of them and since then have missed them until acouple of years ago we found a tree in our neighbourhood in Geelong, Australia. Such excitement! Enjoy xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG YUM!!! Every year around this time I fall in love with feijoas all over again! So good. Thanks for the recipe.
    Wow your girl is very organised with her scooping technique - bless!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...