Wednesday 30 October 2013

Nostalgia and rice bubble slice







 
Do you remember rice bubble slice?  For me it is up there with fairy bread, cheerios and coco pop cups.  Party food at it's very best.

The boys tried rice bubble slice a few weeks ago at a party and loved it.  So I found a recipe and made it.  It is super easy, perfect for "take a plate" / shared morning teas etc.  We polished it off for pudding..........it does not last long.

I love making things for the kids that I enjoyed as a child.  We have also being ordering movies that Mr H and I watched as children.  The Gremlins, Jurassic Park, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to name a few.  Next on our list is The Princess Bride.  Do you remember watching it?

What childhood treats do you love making for your family?
 
Do you get all nostalgic by watching movies from your childhood?  Which ones?
 

Here is the rice bubble slice recipe.  It only takes a few minutes.......and lasts only slightly longer.

Ingredients
 
100g butter
100g (1/2 cup) white Sugar
1 1/2 tbsp honey
3-5 cups of rice bubbles  ( I used 3 cups)

Method

Melt the butter, sugar, and honey in a saucepan. When melted, boil for 3 mins, take off the heat and add rice bubbles, mix in.

Put in a lined slice tin and leave to cool before cutting into squares.
 

Enjoy!
 
 
 

17 comments:

  1. It has been years since I had these. I saw some made into lollipops and then half dipped into melted chocolate. The universe must be telling me to eat some of these! Hope your children loved them - I mean, what's not to love. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snap, Crackle and Pop! Good old Rice Bubbels :) I was a huge fan of chocolate crackles! As for walking back down memory lane I love watching old movies with my girl. My all time favourite would have to be Mary Poppins... I never tire of that movie and neither does Sunny :) I love it!

    Sophie xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had rice bubble slice in so long.
    As a kid I loved yo-yo biscuits (melting moments), chocolate crackles, and fairy bread too.
    Movies I loved were Annie and The Sound of Music.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie and the Sound of Music were my very favourites as a kid. I think I still know all the songs by heart. xo

      Delete
  4. My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die. Would you believe I have never eaten rice bubble cake? My mum used to make chocolate rice crackles (I guess that's what they're called) with Kremelta and poured into little paper cases. That brings back memories. I'm going to make your version this weekend for my daughter's birthday party, she's having a Guy Fawkes theme, hmmm. I have to think laterally and go with anything snap, crackle and pop-related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! Absolute classic movie line. And always said with a heavy Spanish accent! xo

      Delete
  5. Oh I love princess bride! One of my favorites!!! And we eat these but with marshmallows!!! I have never seen them made this way before...How fun to learn something new!!! Happy day to you sweet lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmm noms! love a good rice bubble slice!! I am and have always been big on animation movies... the little mermaid, the jungle book, fox and hound... love love them x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh love it! Used to be my favourite food when I was a kid and went to birthday parties. That and cheerio sausages with Watties Tomato Sauce. As for The Princess Bride - that's my favourite movie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Goonies was my favourite movie as a kid! I will have to watch it again soon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I think I'm going to have to give this a go, I'm sure the kids would love it! Thanks! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you for the recipe, everyone will love it tonite

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that slice - unfortunately so do my children, so it doesn't last long. Mine have been enjoying watching the original three Star Wars movies that we saw as kids.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never had this particular slice but you did make me remember and start salivating over honey joys, you know the ones made with cornflakes. mel x

    ReplyDelete
  13. That has to be the best name for a cake! We make something similar here with melted marshmallows, butter and rice crispies. It's way too yummy. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nostalgia right there just like that
    LOVE rice bubble slice

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love old school kids' party food. Honey joys are my favourite (like your slice but with cornflakes)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...