Monday 30 March 2015

When you put your knee through the "new" granny cabinet







This is what you do when you get impatient and decide to move a heavy cabinet by yourself......like I did.  I put my knee through the (probably expensive to replace) curved side glass on my new retro cabinet.

Queue gasps, a scream, lots of OH NO's and tons of cursing!  I've been wanting one like this for ages and after a popping in and out of second hand dealers in town for a while now, I found this one.........in mint condition.  I should have taken a photo, but imagine a great big fault line through the centre of the side panel.

So after I broke the glass I decided to fill it and then after a bit more sulking I decided I needed to take action, so I got out my pile of retro wallpaper pieces and went to work on a bit of patch working.  A quote needs to be done on how much it will cost to replace the glass, but for now it will probably stay like this.  I really like it and may even properly stick the wallpaper pieces down (and move the phone and modem to another spot).

The original granny cabinet has been moved around the corner and now holds my Pyrex and big retro kitchen pieces.

So there you have it one newish but slightly broken china cabinet.  Happy days!



9 comments:

  1. I hope you haven't cut your knee! The cabinet looks funky as it is :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, too unfair! It looks like a great cabinet and I love all of your pretty things and the way you have arranged them. I hope that you can get the glass repaired and then perhaps keep the pretty papers underneath the glass anyway! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it's any consolation I thought it was one of those cleverly up-cycled pieces! It looks great and really shows off your vintage collection. Hope you didn't injure your knee. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey you!!!! Man don't you hate that!!! Sounds like something I would do! Your patchwork is so clever and pretty though!! You would never know the glass was broken!!! Such a cool piece buddy! Hope that knee is ok! Wishing you a great week!! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good repair job love! I would have said many many many swear words too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How annoying! Looks cool with the wallpaper though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a shame! You have done a good repair job though, I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember falling bottom first into the glass door of a similar unit when I was a toddler - it was only the thick cloth nappy that stopped me getting cut. Your repair job looks great.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...